What is it?
NetMeter is a free, lightweight network bandwidth monitoring utility that sits in your system tray and continually keeps track of the amount of data flowing through your own system’s network connection. It’s highly customisable and shows neat graphs of your current download & upload speeds. The graph is toggled when you click on the system-tray icon.
You have the option to set the monitoring for any particular network interface or all of them together. The software shows you nicely summarised reports of daily downloads along with cumulative weekly & monthly volumes plus projected values. These reports can be easily exported as CSV (Comma Separated Values) files.
- Clear graphical and/or numerical display
- Ability to set the transparency label of the graph as well as fade-in/out effects. Also thrown in in a click-through feature that makes the graph window totally transparent to mouse-clicks, i.e. the mouse clicks occur through the graph onto the window(s) lying behind it
- Can be configured to auto-load with Windows
- Requires minimal screen real estate and system resources
- Auto-hide feature that toggles the meter based of network activity (meter is invisible when network is idle)
- Can show the readouts in either kB/sec (kilobytes per second) or kbps (kilobits per second)
- Option to select a specific/all network interface(s)
- Logging facility that can export to CSV files
- Works with Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/NT4/2000/XP
Why should you use it?
The reasons why you might want to monitor your network activity are by far many. Keeping a close watch on your data transfer rates gives you a much better idea of how long the a particular network activity will take apart from telling you how efficient your Internet connection is. This in turn helps you in improving your network performance. You can tweak your network settings to try and attain maximum download speeds and match every time against this monitor.
Moreover, it can make you aware of dangerous or unexpected network activities. With this kind of traffic monitoring it’s easy to tell whether some unknown application has installed itself and is sending or receiving data without you being aware of it. This is quite a regular occurrence because of the amount of Trojans & Worms floating around on the net.
Get NetMeter today …